Friday, May 23, 2014

the most important step is the first step (and the hardest step)

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

if you want to do something big or small, you have to take the first step.
The first step is often the hardest.

I am a very productive person and can work for hours without interruption. But only when I get started. Some days I start earlier than other days.
Often for me - and perhaps you - the first step is the hardest.
You have things you should do. Things you can do. Things you want to do. Things that will make your life better and improve the life of those around you. Things that will improve your self esteem. Things that will make you healthier. Things that will improve your relationships. Things that will deepen your spiritual life. Things that will make you smarter and more interesting. Things that will help you fulfill a dream in your heart.
Things that maybe you've given up on because ... well, because you never got started. You simply haven't taken the first step.
One of my annual rituals is that the first time I go to a pool that has a high dive, I head straight there first. Why? I know it is harder to go head first off a ten or twelve-foot spring board every year and I want to serve notice up front - to no one else but me - that I can still do this.
What do you want to do today? This summer? Before the year is over? In the next decade? Before your life is over?
The most important step to get there, to do it, is the first step. Begin it. Be bold.
What one step can you take even today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think?