Saturday, May 17, 2014

john rebus: the literary character I hate to love

Rude, churlish, obnoxious ... John Rebus is the literary detective I hate to love.


The literary character I hate to love is Inspector John Rebus. Rude, arrogant, churlish - his brilliance in solving Edinburgh murder mysteries is matched only by his self destructive love for booze, cigarettes, and conflict with authority.


I'm a bit like those few who are close to him in Rankin's novels - loyal and able to see past his coarse exterior - but always wondering what he will do next to get in trouble with the bosses - and drag me along with him!


In Exit Music, author Ian Rankin finally put Rebus into retirement and introduced a new series character in The Complaints. I can only assume fan reaction won the day as Rebus made his typically messy but triumphant return in Resurrection Men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think?