Friday, June 1, 2012

My 100 Mile Bike Ride - made it!


Last year I did the 62-mile loop for the Harpeth River Ride that starts in the parking lot of Nissan's North American headquarters in Franklin, Tennessee, and winds through some beautiful scenic roads. I had just got back into riding a couple months earlier and the ride was just about more than I could handle. I started off strong but then hit Pulltight Hill for the first time and struggled the rest of the way to the finish line.

I've been on the bike at least once a week and usually twice since then - so I've "let" my neighbor talk me into the 100-mile loop - which goes 101 miles. I'm pretty sure it's going to be just about more than I can handle - but I can do it!

So if you see a triumphant update on my ride on Monday - you'll know I made it - even if my pace doesn't break any land speed records. If I am unusually quiet next week you might be right when you assume I switched to the 62-mile loop midcourse. But I'm not even going to think that way. 101 miles here I come.

Prayers and best wishes are welcome!

ADDENDUM: I made it! In fact, I took a wrong turn and added 4 miles, so I made 105 miles. I wasn't the last rider in - but I was definitely near the back of the pack. I expected that knowing that the majority of the 100-mile participants would be the better riders and I didn't think I could catch any of the stragglers riding the 62-mile or 44-mile loops. Next year? Might return to the 62-mile loop!



Nissan's Official Harpeth River Ride Vehicle

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think?