Tuesday, June 12, 2012

when is it time for hip replacement surgery?


Just a quick update to let my friends know that next Tuesday I'll be having hip replacement surgery - the plan is to have the other hip done in August.

I was diagnosed as bone-on-bone arthritic in both hips about 6 years ago. At that time I had two microfracture surgeries to delay replacement as long as possible. The surgeries had some positive benefit - but it's been steady pain the whole time. It's best to keep original equipment as long as possible - but my doctor's message has always been that life will be much better once they are switched out.

53 isn't young (or that old) -  but still younger than they like to do replacements - the old rule of thumb used to be 60. However, after latest rounds of X-RAYS it took next to no time for the doctor to say it's time.

I knew this was coming - I put on 30 pounds in the past 18 months and have struggled to workout - my weight has always had some flux but not wanting to work out is very unlike me. I've lost 15 pounds in prepping for this- but the next 15 will have to come post-surgery.

I've spent 6 nights in a hospital in my life - 3 with my son Bo and 3 with my Dad - Bo doesn't talk in his sleep as much Dad! I'll stay in hospital 2 nights on each hip. I've been told I'll be walking as soon as I wake up.

I'm feeling great about the decision and have no worries here. Your prayers are still appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are having this done.......you'll be enjoying those new hips for another 53 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is truly a good for you. I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful info with us. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think?