Thursday, August 13, 2009

random thoughts on getting older (or 'happy birthday to me')

In case I didn't remember that tomorrow is my birthday, facebook came up with an app that makes sure I and a host of well-wishers - along with a few trash talkers - are very aware that I am about to have another number added to my age. Last year was the big five-oh so this one shouldn't be that big of a deal. Right? But then again, it is a full year later, so maybe this and each subsequent birthday is a much greater accomplishment and deserving of more fanfare.

I started thinking about writing this blog on getting older last week and came up with a really clever title and approach to the topic, but since I didn't write anything down I can't remember what I had in mind. So while I'm thinking about it now, here are a few random thoughts on the aging process that just might reflect what is coming your way a good ways down the road, what you're currently experiencing as a fellow 50-something or what things you remember (but might have forgotten) that are now in your rear view mirror.

1. Oatmeal and prescription meds are big topics of discussion. And I'm not talking idle chatter. I'm talking the fodder of deep and enthralling conversations.

2. I now routinely call each of my children by one of their sibling's name. Despite rolled eyes or vacant stare, I don't think they mind that much and maybe find it mildly amusing. At least until I refer to one of the boys by one of the girl's names or vice versa.

3. Retirement is on my mind. It was a couple years ago, too. But back then I was thinking I might do it some day. After watching my accounts and home equity go the wrong direction, I now think more about not retiring some day.

4. Stretchy fabrics are underrated. Particularly fabric swatches that circle the waist.

5. The kids think Amy and I talk too loud. I think they're crazy. I can barely hear a word Amy is saying.

6. They - whoever 'they' are - are right; 'old' is a relative term. Even if a few things hurt that I didn't know existed in my 30's, I really don't feel old at almost-51. More to the point, in my copious research for this piece, I discovered 'old' refers to people who are five or more years advanced in age than I am. Not only that, 'old' is on a sliding scale and will continue to be five years out from where I am in future years.

7. Fiber is mysterious and confusing. When I think of fiber, I think of something substantial and solid. Now they (there 'they' are again) sell fiber - with extra roughage thrown in for good measure - in little gel caps. I don't know what this has to do with anything but I could go on about fiber all day!

8. Many parents of young children look like children themselves. This observation isn't actually new. It came to me 10 years ago when I took my oldest child to college and my youngest child to kindergarten. The same week.

9. The world really does need the wisdom that comes from age and experience. This wisdom is treasure to be cherished and honored. I don't know how I ever thought that youth and energy were what made big things happen.

10. A lot of my friends in my age range are looking older these days. (This observation is only intended for certain trash talkers - and you know who you are.)

Aging. It's no laughing matter. It's something we all must face. And on the positive side, it certainly beats the alternative unless, of course, you are one of the drafters of Obama's health care plan. So I'm going to get very serious now.

But first I think I'll take an afternoon nap!

3 comments:

  1. Mark, This is great. You are a very wise man indeed!!!! Enjoy your your Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen. Not sure about the 'wise' part but enjoying life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think?