Thursday, May 22, 2008

Farewell Cinderella: A Father's Love for His Daughter

Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'cause all too soon the clock
will strike midnight
and she'll be gone
About a year ago we got a call from a local Nashville music agent. He wanted to tell us about a new song written by Steven Curtis Chapman called Cinderella and to discuss the idea of a gift book by that same name. We absolutely loved the song and the concept and last January released Cinderella: The Love of a Daddy and His Princess to coincide with the radio release of the song.

I had the air knocked out of me on the way to work this morning when I received a call with the news that Steven's youngest daughter, Maria, was killed in a tragic accident last night.

It's been hard not to be tearful today -- and I haven't succeeded. First of all I'm a father and I can't begin to imagine the heartache Steven and his family are experiencing right now. As a publisher, I know he poured his heart into the words of the song and the pages of the book. A major inspiration for the lyrics was Steven and his wife Mary Beth's profound love for their children -- and all children. They founded Shaohannah's Hope, a foundation that assists families hoping to adopt with information and financial grants -- and named after the first daughter they brought into their family from China. Maria, the youngest, was also adopted from China and her beautiful smiling face sparkles throughout the book.

The name of Steven's latest album is This Moment ... and at a moment like this, I wish I had words of wisdom. There simply are none. St. Paul said that the only things that endure are faith, hope, and love, and never is that more evident than in a moment like this. Our deepest prayers and love are with the Chapmans.

Farewell Cinderella.

1 comment:

  1. As much as we grieve the loss of Maria Chapman, we should remember her brother Will Franklin who was driving the car. Pray that he will soon experience the joy that comes from a deeper understanding of the astounding grace of God.

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think?