Tuesday, January 15, 2013

how many people are reading on eReader devices?

according the Pew Institute 23% of adults have used an ereader now.
Where do you read books?

According the Pew Internet and American Life Project, 23% of adult readers have now read an ebook.

In a blog last year I noted that percentage as 12%. Recognizing that there are no comprehensive studies - and the numbers seemingly change dramatically on a month-to-month basis - that is a growth rate of almost 100%. During the same period, ebook sales in trade publishing have risen from 17% to 25%. Half of all fiction is now being bought for consumption on eReaders.

I remember the prophecies of the paperless office back in the early 90s. I'm still waiting.

But to state the obvious, the digital revolution in publishing - starting with daily news and now moving to long form content -  appears to be a relentless and unstoppable transformation in how we consume what we read.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy my Kindle, still using the 2nd. generation one I've had for 4 years. I like the ease of traveling with a library, with out the weight.

    As a reader, I still need the feel of a solid book in my hand on occasion. Id's say my reading is about 50/50.

    As a writer, I make more off each e book I sell than paperback.

    When a reader can get a great book for 10.00 as opposed to 20. And the writer twice as much, it's a win win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love the smell of a slightly vanilla page blending with my coffee as I read. The mystique of the pressed book is fading, however. I find that I can curl up with a Kindle or Nook now that my mind's adapted to the idea. The more I read from it, the more it becomes a regular part of my routine. Two years ago, I couldn't imagine reading from a Kindle. Now, I carry a library in my pocket. I've sold out to the revolution. :)

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think?